Are You Prepared For a Flood? What To Do After a Flood.
We hope you were able to take time to read our previous two blog posts regarding what you should do to protect yourself and your loved ones before and during a flood. With this post we’d like to delve into how you can help yourself after a flood. Dealing with the aftermath of a catastrophe such as a flood leaves you with water damage and dangerous mold, not to mention emotional trauma! So what steps should you take after a flood?
- Keep any eye on the news or listen to the radio to find out when it’s safe to return to your home.
- As we mentioned before, try your best to avoid stepping in moving water.
- Don’t give in to the temptation to enter unsafe areas unless you’ve been specifically recruited for help from the police or flood relief organizations. You don’t want to be alone in an area that’s unsafe.
- When relief workers are attempting to help others affected by the flood do your best to stay out of the way. This is sometimes the best help we can be.
- Remember that there could be more water to come so stay tuned into your local weather channel so you’re not caught off guard.
- If you absolutely must walk through an area that’s been flooded the be sure to stay on ground that is firm. Water weakens foundations. Just because it looks safe does not mean it will not collapse.
- Do not under any circumstance enter a building that is surrounded by flood water.
- Hopefully you were prepared ahead of time and you stocked up with potable water. If you didn’t, be sure you check with the news to see if your local water source was contaminated or if it is safe to go ahead and drink.
- Stay out of standing flood waters. Many times this water is contaminated with sewage and can make you very sick or cause infections.
- As soon as you are able to get into your home again, open every window and get the air circulating. The sooner you get your home drying out the better.
- Anything that was touched by the water will need to be cleaned and disinfected.
- If you find that there is real water damage, contents damage, or mold in your home, you may want to open a claim with your insurance company and call the professionals in to handle the dirty work. We at Delta Disaster Services of Southern Colorado are experts when it comes to water damage, contents recovery, and mold cleanup. We’d be happy to help alleviate the burden and help you get back on your feet!