In our previous blog post we addressed what to do in order to be prepared for a Colorado flood. We’d like to talk about what you can do during a flood to keep yourself and your family safe. Here are some important tips to keep in mind to stay safe!
- Stay up to date on the information coming in from the radio or news.
- If you didn’t prepare and you have time, try to move your indoor furniture inside and get everything important upstairs if possible.
- Unplug everything. As we mentioned in the previous post, electrical items and water do not mix.
- Did you know that even in just 6 inches of moving water you can be caused to fall? If you must move through water try to do so only in still water and check the ground underneath you with a cane or a stick to make sure that it is solid before you move forward.
- Always be prepared for a flash flood. If you see signs that the water is building quickly get yourself to higher ground. Remember, you don’t need to wait for instructions to get to high ground.
- Many, many people attempt to drive through flooded areas. This can lead to you and your family being trapped in rising water. Sometimes the flooded road can collapse. Be safe and drive around the high water.
- If you are driving at night you want to be aware of flooded areas that you may not be able to see due to street lights being out. If you can, try to drive during the daylight.
- If you were unable to escape the flood waters and your vehicle is stuck try and get yourself out of the car and to dry ground as there is the possibility that your vehicle could be swept away with the fast moving water. Remember, only do this if you know it is safe to do so!
- If you need to leave your car somewhere, make sure it is not near water as this water will likely rise and make your car unusable.
- And finally, if you see a barricade please respect it. Barricades are put in place for the protection of you and your loved ones. Turn around and try another way.
We hope these tips are helpful should you ever find yourself in an active flood situation. If you have been the victim of a flood and you need help getting your home back to normal please call us at Delta Disaster of Southern Colorado!